My week of Monday 22 to Sunday 29 saw me finally get rid of the lurgi and settle back into some work. Nothing exciting to report, just some regular productivity. Isn’t that enough for you people?
I did manage to spend Saturday afternoon in Cabramatta, though, the heart of Sydney’s Vietnamese community. I’d forgotten how lovely it is. And on Sunday I saw the film The Farewell, which I thoroughly recommend.
- Dear network operators, please use the existing tools to fix security, ZDNet Australia, 23 September 2019.
- More generic futurist hand-waving from Huawei’s founder, ZDNet Australia, 27 September 2019. Am I getting too cynical?
Podcasts, Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
None, but this will definitely change in the coming week, trust me on this.
The Week Ahead
It’s going to be a busy one, and it’s also my last week in Hurstville for this burst of housesitting. Both Monday and Tuesday will be all about planning and research and almost certainly some writing, but Tuesday will also include a trip to Wentworth Falls for various errands.
I’m talking about that magazine from the early 1990s, The Core, on ABC Adelaide on Tuesday night some time after 1800 ACST.
On Wednesday and Thursday I’m covering the D61+LIVE conference at Carriageworks, so I’ll almost certainly still be writing about that on Friday. Update 2 October 2019: Things change. Wednesday was a day off sick. Thursday will be about writing for ZDNet, but about something else.
It’s then the long weekend for Labour Day, but I must prepare the Hurstville apartment for its owner’s return on Sunday morning, and on Monday I’ll be heading down to Melbourne for a week.
Here’s what’s planned. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2019, Melbourne, 8–10 October 2019. The excellent Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) Conference is now rolled into this event. I’ll remain in Melbourne through to Sunday 13 October.
- Cyber Security Hypothetical Panel, Canberra, 22 October 2019.
- NetThing, Sydney, 28 October 2019.
- iapp ANZ Summit 2019, Sydney, 29–30 October 2019 (TBC). That’s the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
- Gala dinner celebrating 30 Years of the Internet in Australia, Sydney, 31 October 2019.
- APNIC 49 / APRICOT 2020, Melbourne 18–21 February 2020.
[Photo: Sydney Metro works at Sydenham, photographed on 29 September 2019. Not the greatest photo in the world, not at all, but it spoke to my introspective mood at the end of the week.]