The main plus from my week of Monday 24 to Sunday 30 May 2021 was that I got my first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine for COVID-19 and there were few side effects — a bit of a headache and a few body aches and some tiredness. I made a podcast, and it was fun, but didn’t get much else done. This will haunt me.
As i happens had loathe the word “jab” used a verb for “vaccinate” but here we are.
- The 9pm Overshared Hate Mail Ant Infestation with cartoonist Cathy Wilcox, recorded on Friday afternoon. It was a fun episode to recorded, causing us to back at each other like dogs. True story.
The 9pm Edict is supported by the generosity of its listeners. You can subscribe for special benefits or throw a few coins into the tip jar. Please consider. This would be a very, very good week to consider it too.
- Bizarrely, an old and terribly out-of-focus photo of mine was used to illustrated an article, Three Things You Didn’t Know Three Minutes Ago, purely because it has the number three in it. It’s a terrible photo.
Articles, Videos, Corporate Largesse
None of these things, which is really annoying because neither of the two articles I had under way for ZDNet could be completed.
You can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to get a compilation of new stories by email each Sunday morning, when there are some.
If you find these links useful please let me know. They don’t take long to compile, but I’m always looking for ways to save time.
- As promised last week, the full live performance by Electronicos Fantasticos from 23 May.
- From the ABC’s Matt Bevan and his team, creators of Russia, If You’re Listening and America, If You’re Listening, comes a new podcast series: China, If You’re Listening. Guess what it’s about.
- Tips for Using the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine in Your Next Investigation. It;’s written for journalists, but everyone should find it handy.
- Untangling Australia’s vaccine rollout timetable, a great report from ABC News.
- A dossier of lies and falsehoods, Crikey’s multi-story feayure on “how Scott Morrison manipulates the truth”.
- And finally from 7News, an extended interview with the bloke they’re calling Mr “Democracy Manifest” and his “succulent Chinese meal” In my view he comes across as a bit of a tosser.
The Week Ahead
Monday is about writing for ZDNet, and Tuesday and Wednesday are about errands and chores and first-of-the-month administrivia. Beyond that, though, nothing is locked into any specific day of the week. I just know I have to get some revenue happening because the last few months haver been terrible
That said, on Thursday I’ll check out the Australian Strategic Policy Institute panel, An Australian strategy for the quantum revolution. I really need to know more about quantum.
- The 9pm Edict with Mark Humphries, recording on 11 June 2021. I’ll need your TRIGGER WORDS or a CONVERSATION TOPICS by 10am AEST.
- The 8pm Quiz S02 E05, 17 June 2021.
- Australian Cyber Conference, Melbourne, 15–17 November 2021 (TBC).
[Photo: Stilgherrian getting his first dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine on 24 May 2021.]