My week of Monday 5 to Sunday 11 July 2021 saw a lot of action, even if you didn’t see it. More tweaking of the meds, more administrivia, a bonus episode of The 8pm Quiz, and even a little podcast.
Most important for the medium term, however, was the launch of another Pozible crowdfunding campaign for more special guest episodes of The 9pm Edict podcast.
Please consider supporting The 9pm Late Winter Series 2021. You have until 22 July.
- BONUS EPISODE: The 8pm Quiz S02 E06, livestreamed on Thursday night. This is perhaps the tightest episode of the Quiz yet, though it’s the end of series two and I’m yet to decide what happens next.
- The 9pm Bronouncement of â€œThe 9pm Late Winter Series 2021â€ and related matters, being a brief episode recorded on Wednesday night and which includes some information about gendered wine cocktails.
- John Birmingham quoted one of my tweets in this week’s Alien Sideboob, Waiting for Godot’s vaccine shipment. Putting my presence aside, it’s a good read.
Articles, Corporate Largesse
None. But you can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to get a compilation of new stories by email each Sunday morning, when there are some.
- How Hijackers Commandeered Over 130 American Planes â€” In 5 Years, an extract from the book The Skies Belong to Us: Love and Terror in the Golden Age of Hijacking.
- Reversing the War on Drugs: A five-point plan. As the Brookings Institution writes, “he entire foundation of the War on Drugs was built on racial resentment and outgroup targeting by the government”.
- Did you know that the writer Kafka reviewed an early airshow? Exclusive translation here.
- 1,000 Free Audio Books: Download Great Books for Free.
The Week Ahead
This will be the third COVID-19 lockdown week for Greater Sydney in the current batch — told you there’d be more — and I’m expecting several more after this one.
I’ve still got one medical appointment on Monday, but I’ll do it remotely. The others have been pushed back a week.
On Tuesday there’s the panel discussion Exfiltrate, encrypt, extort: The global rise of ransomware & Australia’s policy options from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.
On Wednesday I’m recording a podcast with the wonderful Andrew P Street, who was last heard in December 2020 on The 9pm Freedom Wine Zombie Mink War Crime with Andrew P Street. This will wrap up the Autumn Series 2021 of The 9pm Edict before the Late Winter Series kicks off towards the end of the month — assuming the crowdfunding goes to plan.
In between all that I plan to knock off a story of two for ZDNet.
Still not a lot in the calendar, but I don’t think this will change any time soon.
- I’ll now make my cautious trip to Sydney for health-related appointments on 19 July 2021.
- Second COVID-19 vaccination, Sydney, 2 August 2021.
- Australia’s 2021 Census, 10 August 2021.
- Australian Cyber Conference, Melbourne, 15â€“17 November 2021 (TBC).
- linux.conf.au 2022, online, 14â€“16 January 2022 (TBC).
[Photo: Not one but two ice spikes found in my freezer on 10 July 2021.]