I kicked off my week of Monday 9 to Sunday 15 May 2022 by getting my voting out of the way in the current federal election campaign. I sorted out the podcast scheduling. And I uploaded some footage of the swamp wallaby clan who visit the Bunjaree Cottages compound most nights.
This week I launched a new Pozible crowdfunding campaign for the next season of special-guest podcast episodes.
I’ve already lined up one very special guest indeed, economist Umair Haque, author of The New Capitalist Manifesto and Betterness: Economics for Humans, chronicler of the decline of America, and maker of disco.
There will also be another episode with Scottish author, social researcher, and podcaster David F Porteous, and a catch-up on the plague with Dr Trent Yarwood.
There’s more names to come, of course.
The campaign ends at 9pm AEST on Thursday 26 May. Please consider supporting The 9pm Winter Series 2022.
At the time of writing we’re 39% of the way to Target One.
- The 9pm Election Unhinging: Week the Fifth, recorded and posted on Thursday. This week’s episode ran longer than an hour, but I’m hoping my commentary on of the leaders debates is worth listening to. Please let me know.
The 9pm Edict is supported by the generosity of its listeners, and the election mini-series is outside my planned budget because I am an idiot. Scroll back two paragraphs for instructions on what you should do next regarding crowdfunding.
- 007 More Wallaby Supper (ROUGH CUT), being 10 minutes of raw footage of a group of swamp wallabies munching their way through some wild bird seed at Bunjaree Cottages on Tuesday night.
- 008 Even More Wallaby (ROUGH CUT), being 17 minutes more of wallaby footage, this time from Saturday night.
You can subscribe to my YouTube channel to be notified when new videos appear.
- The photos in the Waratah sequence 2021 now span 257 days. With so little progress in the ripening of the seed pods, I’ve started a vary the camera angles a bit more.
Articles, Media Appearances, Corporate Largesse
None. You can read my previous writing at Authory, where you can also subscribe to an email compilation of any new stories each Sunday morning.
- An amazing Twitter thread from Ukraine, a combination of first-personal reportage, intelligence, propaganda, and fundraising. What I did to destroy Russian pantonne [pontoon] bridge over Siverskyi Donets – a thread ðŸ§µ. It’s a lot of think about.
- A remarkable essay on Scott Morrison by James Ley, The Parable of the Amen Snorter and the Rotten Fish.
- An-225 Mriyaâ€™s First Pilot On The Tragic Destruction Of The Worldâ€™s Biggest Plane, being an interview with a remarkable man about a remarkable aircraft.
- The wonderful Armando Iannucci was on Richard Herring’s podcast RHLSTP and it was wonderful.
- Armando Iannucci has also done a sub-series of The New Statesman podcast, Westminster Reimagined, “exploring Britainâ€™s â€˜brokenâ€™ politics and some possible solutions”. I haven’t listened to them yet but they sound promising.
- I’m a fan of John H McWhorter’s linguistics podcast Lexicon Valley. The latest episode is a crossover with Amna Khalid’s podcast Banished titled “The Evolution of ‘Woke'”. A fantastic introduction to both podasts.
The Week Ahead
The week kicks off with more of the SEKRIT geek-work and editorial consulting, and possibly even some writing for ZDNet.
Update 16 May 2022: I’ve invented a new thing called Bond on Tuesday #BondOnTuesday, which is basically where we all watch a James Bond film on Tuesday nights at 8.30pm Sydney time. First up is Dr. No (1962).
Wednesday is all about podcast pre-production, then on Thursday I’m recording two episodes.
In the morning it’s the last of my pre-election specials, which will be posted that day.
In the evening I’m recording a special-guest episode with David Gerard, who you’ll remember from last year’s The 9pm Dumb Anarcho-Capitalist Blockchain Scams. We’ll be looking at all the current dramas in the cryptocurrency and NFT worlds. The finished product will be posted on Friday. If you’re a supporter with TRIGGER WORDS or a CONVERSATION TOPIC for that episode, please let me know by 6pm AEST on Wednesday 18 May 4pm AEST on Thursday 19 May.
Update 19 May 2022: The episode with David Gerard will now be recorded on Saturday 28 May. If you have TRIGGER WORDS or a CONVERSATION TOPIC for that episode, please let me know by 6pm AEST on Friday 27 May.
Saturday is federal election day. I’ve already voted. Instead, I’m meeting a friend down in Sydney to eat, drink, and watch Antony Green do his Saturday night party tricks as the count comes in. I’ll stay in Sydney through to Monday.
- OSINT in the era of disinformation and fake news, SANS Institute, online, 25 May 2022.
- The 9pm Election Unhinging: The Aftermath, 26 May 2022. Yes, I’ve decided to produce a post-election episode.
- Australian Cyber Conference 2022 Canberra, Canberra, 31 May to 2 June 2022 (TBC).
- Nigel Ng’s The Haiyaa World Tour, Enmore Theatre, 9 June 2022.
- TechLeaders Forum 2022, Leura NSW, 21â€“22 August 2022. After a hiatus during the Quarantimes, this once-annual gathering for tech journalists is returning for 2022.
- NetThing: Australia’s Internet Community Forum, online, 27â€“28 October 2022 (TBC).
[Photo: Volunteers promote their political parties at the Blue Mountains Theatre and Community Hub in Springwood, a pre-poll voting centre for the federal election, on the rainy morning of Monday 9 May 2022.]