My week of Monday 11 to Sunday 17 November was spent in Sydney, apart from just one night. Friends persuaded me to avoid the Blue Mountains on Tuesday’s “catastrophic” fire danger day — though things turned out fine up there — and I stayed down for the rest of the week for a few Health Patrol duties.
I got some writing done, as you’ll see below. I got my new glasses. And I thoroughly enjoyed the Lowy Institute discussion, now available as a podcast, The EU and Ireland after Brexit: In conversation with former European Parliament President Pat Cox. Recommended listening.
- Flaws found in NSW iVote system yet again, ZDNet, 14 November 2019. Can everybody please stop wanting to do electronic voting? Please?
- Clampdown on US border device searches not such a big deal, ZDNet, 15 November 2019. Us mere “aliens” still have no rights until we’ve entered the US.
Podcasts, Corporate Largesse
- On Monday my photo of a Lumia 925 phone running Windows Phone was used by Katoo to illustrate è¯ºåŸºäºšçš„â€œä¸“åˆ©è€æœ¬â€è¿˜èƒ½â€œå•ƒâ€å‡ å¹´ï¼Ÿ (Machine translation: Can Nokiaâ€™s â€œpatent oldâ€ still â€œsquatâ€ for a few years?) This continues to be my most-used photo of all time.
- On Thursday another photo was used in an article at Japanese travel site Retrip, ã‚·ãƒ‰ãƒ‹ãƒ¼ã§ãŠåœŸç”£ã‚’è²·ã†ãªã‚‰ã“ã“ï¼ã‚·ãƒ‰ãƒ‹ãƒ¼ã§ãŠã™ã™ã‚ã®ã‚·ãƒ§ãƒƒãƒ”ãƒ³ã‚°ã‚¹ãƒãƒƒãƒˆ5é¸. (Machine translation: Click here to buy souvenirs in Sydney! 5 recommended shopping spots in Sydney.)
- On Friday yet another photo turned up at Lad Bible, Researchers Discover Bin Chickens Used To Be Treated Like Gods In Ancient Egypt.
The Week Ahead
On Monday I’m writing for ZDNet before bumping out of Ashfield and returning to the Blue Mountains in the evening. There’s more writing on Tuesday, as well as shopping in Leura or Katoomba.
The rest of the week has more research and writing, through until the as-yet-unplanned weekend. I’m also hoping to do a podcast later in the week.
Update 18 November 2019: I’m adding in a day trip down to Sydney on Thursday to visit the dentist, dammit. Yes, the need is urgent.
Here’s the plan so far. Please let me know if there’s anything I should add. Send airline tickets.
- The disinformation age: Can democracy survive social media?, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 27 November 2019.
- An address on China by Tony Abbott, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 28 November 2019.
- Communications & Internet Community Boat Cruise & After Party, Sydney, 5 December 2019. (Invitation only. I won’t be going to the after party.)
- Taiwanâ€™s 2020 Elections, Lowy Institute, Sydney, 10 December 2019.
- APNIC 49 / APRICOT 2020, Melbourne, 18â€“21 February 2020.
[Photo: The Burwood Hotel in Burwood, Sydney, photographed on 16 November 2019.]